[idvdevelopers] IDV Java 7 Distribution

IDV Developers et al.,

Java 6 was end-of-lifed earlier this year so moving the IDV to Java 7 has been an important goal. However, this process has not been smooth especially on OS X because of Java 3D problems in combination with Java 7. The JOGL open source community has resolved most of the issues with running Java 3D on Java 7 on OS X (though undiscovered problems may remain.)

At any rate, we now have a test distribution of the IDV bundled with Java 7, and Java 3D 1.6. Please find this distribution here:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/entry/show/RAMADDA/IDV+Community+Resources/Java+7+IDV+Distribution?entryid=b1fa04d6-3499-4f06-ac39-f2dced74cf83

We are looking for volunteers to test these distributions and report back problems they may see.

*Important note to OS X users*: Installing this version of the IDV will overwrite your older Java 3D in ~/Library/Java/Extensions. This could cause problems with running the current stable version of the IDV. It may be best to back up of the ~/Library/Java/Extensions folder before installing. Alternatively, you can reinstall the IDV here if you have problems: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/idv/current/index.jsp.

- Unidata IDV Team