Re: [idvdevelopers] problem reading point data netcdf via OpenDAP (thredds)

On 2/24/2014 5:16 AM, Hein Zelle wrote:
Dear IDV developers,

if this email should be on the users list instead, please let me know.

I think this email should go to the users list. If you put this dataset behind a TDS and send us the URL, I can take a look.

Yuan
I'm having issues reading a point-data netcdf file when the file is
served via thredds with opendap.  Ferret can read the data fine, both
as a netcdf file and via thredds, so it appears thredds is serving it
correctly.

Attached are two "ncdump" dumps of the file, one directly on the file
system and one of the opendap url.  IDV opens and displays the disk
file correctly with the data type "netCDF/GEMPAK Point Data files".
When opening the file through thredds (data choosers -> catalogs) I
get an error (see below).  Could anyone tell me what may be going
wrong? I can't tell if IDV is trying to access opendap or another
protocol.

Trying to load the opendap URL directly via (data choosers -> URLs)
in IDV doesn't give any errors but simply says the dataset couldn't
be loaded.

Any tips appreciated.
Kind regards,

Hein Zelle

Error messages when accessing through thredds catalog:

There was an error loading the data:
Error creating data source:netcdf.point with:
[http://wmesweb3:8183/thredds/dodsC/path/to/Surface_Synoptic_latest.nc]
Point obs data source failed making data set:
http://wmesweb3:8183/thredds/dodsC/path/to/Surface_Synoptic_latest.nc
Unable to make a PointDataset from
http://wmesweb3:8183/thredds/dodsC/path/to/Surface_Synoptic_latest.nc
Error =

With this stack trace:

ucar.unidata.data.BadDataException: Unable to make a PointDataset from
http://wmesweb3:8183/thredds/dodsC/path/to/Surface_Synoptic_latest.nc
Error =
        at
ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.doMakeDataset(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:282)
        at
ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.getDataset(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:252)
        at
ucar.unidata.data.point.NetcdfPointDataSource.initAfterCreation(NetcdfPointDataSource.java:209)
        at ucar.unidata.data.DataManager.createDataSource(DataManager.java:1585)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.createDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1980)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1897)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1831)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.IntegratedDataViewer.makeDataSource(IntegratedDataViewer.java:1804)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.IdvChooser.makeDataSource(IdvChooser.java:943)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.makeDataSource(XmlChooser.java:280)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.processNodes(ThreddsHandler.java:851)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.ThreddsHandler.doLoad(ThreddsHandler.java:700)
        at
ucar.unidata.idv.chooser.XmlChooser.doLoadInThread(XmlChooser.java:717)
        at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$2.run(Misc.java:1222)
        at ucar.unidata.util.Misc$3.run(Misc.java:1250)