Another point of consideration is to make a distinction between the Java 8 language/APIs and the Java 8 JVM. It is going to take a while for the IDEs (developer tools, etc.) to catch up to Java 8 the language. (There are many new nice language features in Java 8). Therefore we may not be able to take advantage of the Java 8 language for some time, but moving to a Java 8 JVM should be more straightforward.

Once I revive the IDV webstart version (this on my TODO list). Running the IDV on Java 8 could be tested easily as webstart depends on a webstart (possibly Java 8) JVM rather than the Java that is distributed with the IDV.

-Julien

On 3/19/14 11:31 AM, Jonathan Beavers wrote:
I've been testing Java 8 with the latest JOGL/J3D/VisAD/IDV code for a while
now and it has been pretty solid, especially over the last six months. That
said, I agree with Don that waiting for a little while is probably prudent.

Jon

On 2014-03-19, at 11:45 AM, Don Murray <Don.Murray@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kevin, et al-

At the IDV Developers Conference Call with SSEC last Tuesday, we discussed the
impending release of Java 8.  The IDV nightly build is now using Java 7 and
Java 3D 6 (as of last week).  We decided that we are going to let that settle
out for a while and in the mean time look at the impact that Java 8 might have.
 I suspect that the new version of Java 3D that is in the nightly build should
work with Java 8 as should the IDV.

If anyone wants to test Java 8 in the meantime, let us know if it works or if
you see any problems.

Don