re: CF1.0 compliant .nc file problems

Thanks Don, I'll try the 1.2RC1 release.

Actually, after I had posted I did note one difference in the RUC data set and my .nc file, and that was that model variables in the RUC had an attribute named _CoordinateSystems, with value of a coordinate variable ("projectionCoordSys"). When I added this attribute to my .nc output tool, my data showed up fine in IDV 1.2b2, hurrah. I just stumbled on this really. I couldn't find any mention of this attribute name in the CF standard, nor in the IDV user guide. Of course it shows up in the source code search ;) I did try to single step IDV at .nc load time, but the nc2.2 jar bundled in IDV didn't match up source line wise to the nc2.2 src distro I have ;(

One more point now that I have solved the coordinate problems. The mm5 data set has some variables (atmospheric) available at taus 0, 3, .... 48. However, surface parameters are available at 3.. 48, i.e. not at 0. I do not really want to populate the nc file with large chunks of missing values. I'd prefer to define more than one time coordinate variable, and I presume > 1 time dimension. I'm a little unclear on how this would affect coordinate systems and grid mappings (since in the RUC, the projectionCoordSys variable mentions time in its axes list)? IS there still a single time 'axis'?? The RUC example had just one time variable, so I cannot glean info from it in this respect.

Any help appreciated.

Stuart