Re: IDV does not like file but CF conventions checker does, why?

  • To: "Pearson, Roderick R" <rrpearso@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: IDV does not like file but CF conventions checker does, why?
  • From: Tom Whittaker <tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:28:06 -0500
Up until the last IDV release, there were some issues with this. Please be sure you're running IDV 1.2b2. In addition, if your file is not too big, would you please post it to an ftp server so we can see what the issues are?

tom

Pearson, Roderick R wrote:

I have a netcdf file that the CF convention checker (http://titania.badc.rl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/cf-checker.pl) likes. IDV is supposed to like CF data, even the 2 D grid data like my file. I have included the first few lines of my cdl file from ncdump and am wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on how to correct the file for IDV compatibility.
Thanks in advance.

netcdf Saqmtry1 {
dimensions:
        I = 54 ;
        J = 54 ;
        lev = 23 ;
        time = 23 ;
        latsize = 54 ;
        lonsize = 54 ;
variables:
        float Species1(time, lev, I, J) ;
                Species1:long_name = "Species1of5" ;
                Species1:units = "gram" ;
                Species1:coordinates = "lon lat" ;
        double I(I) ;
                I:long_name = "y-coordinate in Cartesian System" ;
                I:units = "m" ;
        double J(J) ;
                J:long_name = "x-coordinate in Cartesian System" ;
                J:units = "m" ;
        double lev(lev) ;
                lev:long_name = "Sigma Level" ;
                lev:positive = "down" ;
                lev:units = "m" ;
        double time(time) ;
                time:long_name = "Time" ;
                time:units = "hours since 2003-12-01 00:00:00MDT" ;
        double lat(I, J) ;
                lat:long_name = "Latitude" ;
                lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
        double lon(I, J) ;
                lon:long_name = "Longitude" ;
                lon:units = "degrees_east" ;

// global attributes:
                :title = "First Try to create netcdf via Matlab" ;
                :Conventions = "CF-1.0" ;
                :institution = "The University of Texas at El Paso" ;
                :source = "SAQM Model" ;
                :history = "Model Simulation completed on    " ;
                :references = "None for this round" ;
                :comment = "None" ;

--
Tom Whittaker (tomw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)