Re: Problems installing idv2.0 on FC3/FC5 with webstart

Heiko-

Heiko Klein wrote:
I didn't install Java 3D. I use the default version coming with idv through the jnlp file:

<jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/webstart/java3D/"; href="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/webstart/java3D/java3D.jnlp";>
  <information>
    <title>Java3D Optional Package</title>
    <vendor>Sun Microsystems</vendor>
    <homepage href="null"/>
    <description>Java 3D Optional Package 1.3.2</description>
    <offline-allowed/>
  </information>
  <security>
    <all-permissions/>
  </security>
  <resources>
<jar href="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/webstart/java3D/linux/j3dutils.jar"; download="eager" main="false"/> <jar href="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/webstart/java3D/linux/j3dcore.jar"; download="eager" main="false"/> <jar href="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/webstart/java3D/linux/vecmath.jar"; download="eager" main="false"/> <jar href="http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/webstart/java3D/linux/native.jar"; download="eager" main="false"/>
  </resources>
  <library-desc unique-id="null"/>
</jnlp>

It claims to be 1.3.2, but IDV (About->System) says it is 1.3.1 beta.
Java 3D Version: 1.3.1-beta1 Java 3D Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.Blackdown Java-Linux & Sun Microsystems, Inc. Java 3D Renderer: OpenGL

It's mislabeled in the JNLP file.  The About->System tab shows
the correct version information.  I thought the versions were the
same, so thanks for clarifying it.  On my end, since I have
Java 3D installed, it always uses (and reports) that version which
is 1.3.1.

We started using Java 3D 1.3.2, but several users ran into
problems with GLX 1.3 not being supported on their X server.
Linux is the only platform that we don't use 1.3.2 for because
of this.  Unfortunately, the description which has the version
number is set in a part of the JNLP file that is not sensitive
to the OS.  I'll see if I can get around that.

 From the bundled IDV version I get:
Java 3D Version: 1.3.1 Java 3D Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.Blackdown Java-Linux & Sun Microsystems, Inc. Java 3D Renderer: OpenGL

I guess, the 'beta1' of the webstart version doesn't work, and it is the one from the unidata server (just tried to get it again).

I updated the webstart version for Linux to be 1.3.1 (no beta).  Please
try again and see if that fixes the grey problem.  It should
download the new version, but if you want to make sure, delete
the Java 3D package from the Web Start Manager before you run the IDV.

The console gives an exception in the AWTEventThread0.

If this is not the common "In paintImmediately null graphics"
issue from the Known Bugs (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/Bugs.html)
page, please capture it and send it along.

I'm using a Dell Latitude D610 with the Intel i960 graphics card. Driver is quite new.

Let me know if the new Java 3D solves your problem.

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm