[idvusers] IDV formula problems: available math functions & debugging?

IDV folk,

I tried creating an IDV function that would calculate the log10 value
of the field (with 1.e-5 as the minimum value to prevent the
singularity at 0)

I tried defining a "log10" function:

log10(max(field,0.00001))

but it didn't work, giving a
"An error has occurred:
Creating display: Color-Shaded Vertical Cross Section
org.python.core.PyException"
when I try to make a display using this function.

Is there a list to see what I tried to figure out which math functions
are available?  (I just guessed "log10" and "max")

Is there a recommended way of debugging?   (I don't have a clue
whether my syntax is wrong, the functions don't exist, etc).

Thanks,
-Rich

Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229
USGS, 384 Woods Hole Rd.