Re: [idvusers] Maximum Heap Size

Greetings!

I've decided to try to build IDV from the source code on a 64-bit computer to try and answer my own question. However, the only 64-bit computer that I have access to is a Windoze machine (running a 64-bit version of XP). I know that Ant is required to build the IDV from the source, and it looks like you can run Ant on windoze using Cygwin. I have some familiarity with Cygwin, but often seem to have problems with setting my paths, particularly when it comes to invoking java through Cygwin.

Could anyone help me with either A) "how to build IDV on a windoze box", or B) setting up my cygwin path?

Many thanks!!

-kevin.

Kevin Manross wrote:
Good thread!

It sounds as if the caching will at least allow me to load al my data in and it should be sufficient for data analysis. If we want to create long loops, we'll do that through ISL.

Getting back to what I understand about the Java heap, and what Valentijn has described, the limitation is dependent on:

Physical RAM
Architecture (32 bit vs. 64 bit)
OS
Java Version(?)

However, even if I have a 64-bit machine with 4-8 Gb RAM running 64-bit version of WindozeXP (Or linux), the IDV comes with its own JVM. Will this limit my potential heap size? Would I be better off to install the 64-bit version of Java (Java3D?) and then download/build the IDV so it uses the computer's native JVM?

Thanks!!

-kevin.

HansPeter Roesli wrote:
Hi all

This caching is what I was looking for since some time. Good to know it is there now. I am currently testing it with a long and heavy satellite image loop (keep fingers crossed).

I am running IDV on 2 notebooks, both with 2GB of RAM. One runs under XP and I cannot safely go beyond 1000m. On the other one under SuSE Linux 10.1 RAM is set to 1512m.

Cheers, HP

Valentijn Venus wrote:
Kevin. Jeff,

that new caching facility does sound promising!

As far as i know JAVA Heap spaces can grow unlimited on (OPen) Solaris systems, and probably also on Linux 64-bit with JAVA 64-bit but maybe someone else would be able to tell you...

Here are some of our experiences assigning space heap sizes all running IDV from a Java webstart jnlp:

-Linux 64-bit takes you up to 3.5 Gb
-Windows 32-bit varies (depending on what dll's are loaded at which memory address) roughly 1.5 Gb

see some of the jnlp's at http://adde.itc.nl at the "Download" section.

We'll have to wait for Dolphin JAVA virtual machine for large memory addressing to make it into JAVA webstart which by then will also support all the 64-bit goodies.

Jeff, would you be able to tell if a 64-bit version of java3d is in the making or will these two (32-bit java3d & 64-bit jvm) co-exist happily together?

Kind regards, Valentijn V. Venus, M.Sc. Researcher/Lecturer in RS/GIS for Food Security ITC
P.O.Box 6
7500 AA Enschede
The Netherlands
Tel: +31-53-4874549
Fax:+31-53-4874388

=============================================================== De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht onterecht ontvangt wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en de afzender direct te informeren. =============================================================== The information contained in this message may be confidential and is intended to be exclusively for the addressee. Should you receive this message unrightfully, please do not use the contents herein and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. ===============================================================