Re: [idvusers] IDV hint

Sandro,

IDV can calculate derived quantities via formulas that use a python
syntax, and although it comes with several formulas already, I don't
see any for the sea water density.

Does anyone out there in the IDV community have ocean density and
potential density already coded?

If not, someone would have to code in a routine to calculate potential
temperature of seawater and then density of seawater.    One could use
the formulas from the  Matlab seawater toolkit (routine sw_pden, which
calls sw_ptmp and sw_dens).   The Matlab seawater toolkit is at:
http://www.cmar.csiro.au/datacentre/ext_docs/seawater.htm

For a newbie, it would probably take several hours to read the doc on
how to create a formula, cut-n-paste the equations in, switch the
formula syntax so that IDV understands it, and then test it.

-Rich