Re: [idvusers] IDV Formulas and NetCDF

Hi Todd-

Your student sent in a report last week, but we haven't had a chance to
look into it.  We've been getting slammed with support so our answers
are a little less timely.  It's on my list of reports to look at today.

Don

Todd Ellis wrote:
To the list:

I have a student who is attempting to use IDV to calculate and display Q-vectors using reanalysis data. In using some of the built in formulas in the IDV, however, the IDV seems to gag on doing partial derivatives of the NetCDF Reanalysis data, even though it works fine with model data from the UCAR motherlode.

I'm attaching the error message below, and by my examination, it appears that it might have to do with the way the coordinate system in the NetCDF data is applied. Are there any users who have experience with this matter that may be able to offer advice on an approach to solving this issue?

I am also starting a support ticket, but thought that, since time is an issue, I would try the collective expertise of the community as well.

Thanks for your time
Todd

Pasted error message:
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "<string>", line 289, in dvdx
  File "<string>", line 105, in ddx
    at visad.FunctionType.binary(FunctionType.java:283)
    at visad.DataImpl.binary(DataImpl.java:138)
    at visad.DataImpl.divide(DataImpl.java:218)
at ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.partial(DerivedGridFactory.java:2237) at ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.partial(DerivedGridFactory.java:2186) at ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.partial(DerivedGridFactory.java:2165) at ucar.unidata.data.grid.DerivedGridFactory.ddx(DerivedGridFactory.java:2134)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

visad.TypeException: visad.TypeException: FunctionType.binary: types don't match

Dr. Todd D. Ellis
Assistant Professor of Meteorology
Department of Earth Sciences
108 Ravine Parkway
SUNY College at Oneonta
Oneonta, NY 13820

ellistd@xxxxxxxxxxx
(607) 436-2309

"I don't believe in Quantum Physics when it comes to
 matters of the heart"
       -- Crash Davis, Bull Durham