Re: [idvusers] Some comments to IDV

During the last couple of days I have been trying to implement an interface
between our local data formats and the IDV for station time series, which
was not so easy. I was not able to find a working point or station
observation convention for IDV. Finally I succeeded by adopting the MIDAS
netCDF format, which does the job via a linked list construction, but not
efficiently.
Hi Helfried,
The IDV supports a number of point formats:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/data/DataSources.html
including netcdf, ADDE and a custom text CSV format:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/docs/userguide/data/TextPointData.html

I just wanted to encourage the IDV developer team to implement the latest
conventions, especially for point and station time series observations (
<https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/wiki/PointObservationConventions>
https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/wiki/PointObservationConventions) as soon as
possible. Is there a time aimed at for the next IDV release?

This convention, developed by a Unidata colleague, is quite new and the latest version of the IDV will support it. Furthermore, we can also export point data (from any source) into this format. Also, with this work we have some initial support for reading GEMPAK point files as well.

We make nightly builds of the latest development snapshot (they tend to be fairly stable :-))
We will be making a release around beginning of June.

-Jeff