Re: [idvusers] About georeferencing geostationary images (and satellite images in general)

  • To: Remi Montroty <remi.montroty@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [idvusers] About georeferencing geostationary images (and satellite images in general)
  • From: HansPeter Roesli <satmet.hp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 10:45:18 +0200
Cher Remi -

There is a generic method to import georeferenced images into IDV. All is described in chapter 7.5.2 of the User Guide. However, the image(s) to be imported have to be in equilateral latlon projection. This works fine e.g for MODIS where I do the pre-processing down to the euqilateral with IDL (aghhh!).

For geostationary images you might have to go through McIDAS?

Regarding MODIS in HDF5 format I actually have a long-standing request with the IDV developers to make this work properly. So far the reader returns only auxiliary data like sun angles but no image channels.

as salaam, HP

Remi Montroty wrote:
Dear IDV Users,

I am able to find some geostationary satellite images that I would like to view in IDV and compare to model output. I am aware that there is a georeferencing function in IDV ("Geolocate an image"). I dabbled with it but so far with not much success... Has someone done anything like this or is there a tutorial somewhere that I could follow?

It would seem that simulating the geostationary projection is not straightforward...

I am also interested in knowing of other specific examples (e.g. viewing hdf files from MODIS in IDV in a georeferenced framework, if at all possible...) !

Thanks a lot for any help possible,

Remi

begin:vcard
fn:HansPeter Roesli
n:Roesli;HansPeter
org:EUMETSAT Satellite Meteorology Consultant
adr;quoted-printable:;;via Monte Br=C3=A8 5;Locarno;;CH-6605;Switzerland
email;internet:satmet.hp@xxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:+4179 292 0706
tel;home:+4191 751 3650
tel;cell:+4179 292 0706