[idvusers] Did anyone successfully run the initial 2.7u1 release with Java 6 on Leopard?

When IDV 2.7u1 first came out (before the recompile), I tried the Java 6 upgrade approach in Mac OS X 10.5.7. This turned out to be more complicated than anticipated, and I still had only a hacked solution. Here is what I did:

(1) Installed the recommended update and restarted:  no luck
(2) Tried aliasing java to the binary java in the Java 6 directory,
verified version with java -version and restarted: no luck
(3) Found the Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences utility and moved Java SE 6 64-bit to the top of the stack, and restarted: no luck
(4) Began hacking runIDV:
    (a) added java alias from #2 above and ran: no luck
    (b) discovered that JAVA_HOME was searched first, so I added
JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Home

Success!  Sort of...
...because I still cannot run IDV.app, even after setting JAVA_HOME in my .bash_profile.

Did anyone get this to work with Java 6 in Leopard, and if so, what's your secret?
--
Christopher Lynnes NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2 301-614-5185