Re: [idvusers] Did anyone successfully run the initial 2.7u1 release with Java 6 on Leopard?

  • To: idvusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [idvusers] Did anyone successfully run the initial 2.7u1 release with Java 6 on Leopard?
  • From: Martin Otte <otte@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:15:25 -0400
Hi,

Do you have the latest java update from Apple? If so, then you can try:

1) To run IDV.app with 64-bit Java SE 6 on OSX, you have to update the JavaApplicationStub that comes with IDV. The architecture of this file determines what version of java to use, but the version shipped with IDV only has ppc and i386 architectures (not x86_64).

You can just copy the universal Java stub installed with the operating system.
If IDV was installed in /Applications/IDV_2.7u1, then:

cp /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Resources/MacOS/ JavaApplicationStub /Applications/IDV_2.7u1/IDV.app/Contents/MacOS/

You should then able to double-click IDV.app and it will run in 64-bit.

2) For command-line java programs, don't mess with the java symlinks. If you set Java SE 6 64-bit as the preferred java version in the Java Preferences, then you can put:

export JAVA_HOME=$(/usr/libexec/java_home)

in your .bashrc to set the correct JAVA_HOME environment variable.

3) If you set the preferred java version, you can run idv from the command line in 64-bit mode too. Assuming IDV was installed in / Applications/IDV_2.7u1, then you can try:

java -server -Xmx1024m -Xdock:name=IDV -jar Applications/IDV_2.7u1/ idv.jar

This should run IDV in 64-bit mode regardless of whether you updated the IDV.app binary.

Hope this helps,

Martin Otte
Duke University
Civil and Environmental Engineering