Re: [idvusers] Time in GRIB2 files from CFSR

  • To: Guilherme Chagas <goc@xxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [idvusers] Time in GRIB2 files from CFSR
  • From: Robb Kambic <rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 15:43:08 -0700 (MST)
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Guilherme Chagas wrote:

Hello folks!

I have some GRIB2 files from the Climate Forecast System Reanalysis,
downloaded from the NCAR database (monthly means of analysis for U and
V @ 1000mb), which open up just fine, but strangely enough there's a
shift of several months in the time displayed in IDV. Instead of
starting at 1979-01-01 the first time listed is 1977-11-10,
consequently ending earlier than expected. A quick look using wgrib2
shows valid records starting from 1979-01-01 until 2009-09-01!

Hi Guilherme,

A sample file was downloaded from NCAR for a test. The Time problem is in the underlining Grib library that the IDV uses. A fix will be made and passed onto the IDV developers. I don't know the time frame when you will get the fix, but the fix will be implemented in the next days.

Robb...

The IDV version used was 2.8u1 (Windows 7 32bits) and 2.7u2 (Linux
i686), both displayed the same issue.

Has someone else experienced similar issues with other GRIB2 files, or
properly loaded CFSR monthly means?

Thanks!