Re: [idvusers] displaying colour scale using transparency

Hi Don -

On 2010-05-23 14:43, Don Murray wrote:
Hi HP-

HansPeter Roesli wrote:
Recently I have frequently been using a colour table partially that includes (semi-)transparent stretches. The colour scale displays correctly in the selection list of colour tables, i.e. you see the (semi-)transparent stretches. However, in all other instances (in the legend and when burnt into the display + other places?) the colour scale shows no transparency signature. It would be especially useful to have the signature in the display. Is this a bug or oversight?

This is by design. There was a brief period in the development of IDV 2.8 (one of the alpha or beta releases) where the transparent portion was displayed in the legends.
Obviously, I was not yet sensitive to this issue then, otherwise I would have shouted over the Atlantic.
It just didn't look right, so we made them solid and ignored the transparency. Perhaps this could be a preference in some future release.
I am not sure why it should not have looked right. To me it looks alright when editing the colour table and also when choosing the table from a list of tiny colour bars. I you look at the attached image you clearly see that the colour bar without showing the tranparent part is transmitting wrong information. Might this feature re-appraised (after your departure (or on Sundays when you are working from home ;-) ).

cheers, HP

Don
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm

begin:vcard
fn:HansPeter Roesli
n:Roesli;HansPeter
org:EUMETSAT Satellite Meteorology Consultant
adr;quoted-printable:;;via Monte Br=C3=A8 5;Locarno;;CH-6605;Switzerland
email;internet:satmet.hp@xxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:+4179 292 0706
tel;home:+4191 751 3650
tel;cell:+4179 292 0706