Re: [idvusers] Bundle for circulation models in the Gulf of Mexico

  • To: Walt McCall <Walt.McCall@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [idvusers] Bundle for circulation models in the Gulf of Mexico
  • From: Rich Signell <rsignell@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 07:31:23 -0400
Walt,

Sigh.  Yes, this is a known problem with NetCDF-java/IDV and staggered
grids.  Plotting 3D velocities with IDV will not work with output from
staggered grid models like ROMS (and the ocean model component of
COAWST is ROMS).

The problem is that the U and V velocities are at the grid cell walls,
while the vertical coordinate is defined on the grid cell center.  The
result is that NetCDF-Java returns an 3D array for Z that is one
column wider than the U values (or one row wider for the V values).

A simple solution, which we hope to implement and contribute back to
NetCDF-Java, would be to check the size of the returned arrays, and if
they don't match, average to the U and V points.

This only applies to the 3D velocities.  You can plot the 2D
depth-averaged velocities in IDV, (although when I plotted the COAWST
depth-averaged velocities as "grid-relative u and v components", they
don't look correct -- I'll check into this).

Thanks,
Rich

--
Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229