Re: [idvusers] IDV unable to recognize grids from nomads.ncep.noaa.gov

John-

On 4/6/11 6:25 PM, John Caron wrote:
there are two issues going on:

1) we get constant, intermittent HTTP failures from nomads.ncep.noaa.gov
domain, in both the browser and TDS. I suspect their servers are
overwhelmed. Just retry.

There is something screwy with access to that particular dataset. Using the 20110405 version seems better.

2) that dataset has an ensemble dimension that IDV/CDM doesnt recognize.
the main problem is that the CDM doesnt currently parse the "GRaDS"
conventions, which doesnt seem to be published. theres probably an NcML
workaround in case that helps.

There are two convention tags - COARDS and GrADS. I'm sure the latter is to handle things like ensembles for which there is no CF convention. Since the IDV/CDM handles non-ensemble grids using the same conventions, it seems like some tweak is needed in the CDM to understand that dimension (e.g. look for grads_dim as well as CF axis and/or look for long_name = "ensemble_member").

That said, Kevin could use the IDV nightly build and get the GEFS ensemble grids from the main IDV catalog. The latest build allows you to select individual ensemble members thanks to Yuan and motherlode is more reliable than NOMADS/GDS.

Don