Re: [idvusers] aircraft track data

There may be multiple ways to make the file work but I am most
familiar with the track files produced from the US
National Science Foundation aircraft.

1) There needs to be three global attributes
        :conventions = "NCAR-RAF/nimbus" ;    // Note this is a change from
"CF-1.0 that is in the file
        :Version = "1.3" ;                    // This is optional, it defaults
to 1.3
        :coordinates = "LON_GPS LAT_GPS GPS_ALT Time" ;       // Tells IDV what
position variables to use.
2) For IDV to work the second dimension, sps01, must be eliminated.
3) The Time dimension and the Time variable must be named the same.

Attached is a script that uses NCO to correct the file.  In the file you
sent me in a separate email, there are some zeros at the beginning of
the data for the GPS positions.  I took the liberty to change the
_FillValue attribute from -9999 to 0.

Kristian Sebastián wrote:
Hi Sebastian,

Attached, you have a cdl example of NetCDF that can be ploted with the IDV.
The NetCDF file must have one time dimension (only one dimension is allowed)
and the coordinate variables time, longitude, altitude and latitude (CF
Conventions Coordinate
Types<http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.5/cf-conventions.html#coordinate-types>
).

Your NetCDF have two dimensions, you can delete sps01 and rename data_point
to time dimension. You must also add the coordinate variables, and all the
variables (coordinate and data) must have the time dimension.

Best wishes,