[idvusers] visualizing ascat swath data

Dear IDV users,

I am trying to visualize ascat swath data in IDV.  The data is in NetCDF
format, and after a little preprocessing it opens correctly in IDV.  I
can show the left and right swaths correctly with a color shaded plan
view.  Our netcdf files are currently defined roughly like this:

dimensions x = 42 ;   (across_track)
           y = 1582 ; (along_track)

variables  wind_speed (x, y)
           wind_zonal (x, y)
           wind_meridional (x, y)
           time (x, y)
           lon (x, y)
           lat (x, y)

Things are a bit more complicated as the swath contains a left and a
right part, so I've split each data variable in a left and a right
part.

Our meteorologists would like to visualize time information with the
swaths as well.  Can anyone give some advice on how to approach this?
The initial idea is to draw lines perpendicular to the swath
(cross-track) with a time label.  I would need to plot lines from
lon(1,t),lat(1,t) to lon(42,t),lat(42,t) as the netcdf file has 42
across-track points.  Time indices would need to be selected every 10
minutes (roughly every 100th).  Can I do this within idv using a
formula, and is there a suitable plot format?  Or am I better off
pre-computing the locations and time strings for the labels, and
storing them in the file with the data?

Alternatively I could re-define the netcdf files to contain multiple
time steps (e.g. every 10 minutes), but this makes it difficult to
show a larger swath simultaneously.

Advice is much appreciated.
Kind regards and happy holidays,

     Hein Zelle

--

Dr. Hein Zelle
Advisor Meteorology & Oceanography

Tel:    +31 (0)527-242299
Fax:    +31 (0)527-242016
Email:  hein.zelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web:    www.bmtargoss.com

BMT ARGOSS
P.O. Box 61, 8325 ZH Vollenhove
Voorsterweg 28, 8316 PT Marknesse
The Netherlands

----Confidentiality Notice & Disclaimer----

The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended for the
use of the mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, you
are not allowed to read it, to take any action based upon it or to
copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
should please delete it from your system. BMT ARGOSS does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this e-mail or
its attachments which arise as a result of internet transmission, nor
accept liability for statements which are those of the author and
clearly not made on behalf of BMT ARGOSS.