Re: [idvusers] [idvdevelopers] Fwd: [thredds] GRIB variable name changes in 4.3

Hal, who do you serve: machines or humans?

Tyn

Op Feb 28, 2012 om 3:52 heeft "Don Murray" <don.murray@xxxxxxxx> het volgende
geschreven:

> For the sake of the IDV community, I'm reposting my response to the
> netcdf-java and thredds lists:
>
> <repost>
> Hi John and Ethan-
>
> As I have discussed with you at length privately, I am not in favor of
> this change.  This will break every IDV bundle that points to GRIB data
> in a local file or on a TDS server.  This will also affect users of the
> TDS on the NCDC NOMADS servers who access data either through scripts or
> the IDV.  It's not a simple matter of users just picking new names and
> resaving the bundles when the bundles are stored on remote servers or
> used in a classroom setting.
>
> Below, for the benefit of the list, are my arguments for using the human
> readable variable names in the previous netCDF-Java 4.3 beta release:
>
> <quote>
> I believe keeping the human readable variable names (as in the previous
> 4.3 release - with slight modifications) is much preferable and backward
> compatible.  I understand your reasons for wanting to change, but while
> that makes the programmer's life easier, it makes the user's (and other
> programmers') life harder.
>
> For example, from a user perspective, with your changes, I'm going to
> have to modify 50 or more bundles that are on my local machines
> (including the NOAA viz wall) or stored on RAMADDA servers which will
> take several days. I'm also going to have to modify the customizations
> to my IDV parameter tables that I've made over the past 7 years.
>
> From a programmer's perspective, here are the impacts of your changes
> to the IDV:
>
>  - bundles which use the variable name for lookup
>  - data aliases used for derived quantities
>  - parameter aliases used for automatically assigning color tables,
> contour intervals and units
>  - User guide and workshop documentation and examples will need to be
> updated
>
> For the past 7 or so years, IDV users have been able to access realtime
> GRIB datasets and have had stability in using and interchanging those
> datasets.  For example, I have a bundle:
>
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu/repository/entry/get/GFS%2080%20km.xidv?entryid=9f77ca66-2264-4f8b-a460-e02fb42606ea
>
> which has displays of 500 hPa geopotential heights, sea level pressure
> and precipition from the GFS 80km data.  These are simple, commonly used
> parameters.  The IDV has a DataAlias table that equates the variable
> name Geopotential_height with a canonical name of HGT which is used to
> present derived quantities to the user of thickness and geostrophic
> wind.  It also uses this name to assign a color table, unit and contour
> levels for any display created for the variable Geopotential height.
> Same idea goes for Pressure_reduced_to_MSL and Total_precipitation.  It
> doesn't matter whether I go to the GFS 80 km (grib1) or the GFS .5
> degree global (grib2), or even a NAM 80km dataset. I can apply the
> [...]

Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
University of Twente
Chamber of Commerce: 501305360000

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the
addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content
of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by
mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by
return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the
message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail
transmission.