[idvusers] Installing IDV on Mac OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Greetings IDV users,

We have discovered that there is an issue installing the IDV on Mac OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) related to the new Gatekeeper technology shipped with the OS. If you try to run the IDV installer under the default Gatekeeper settings, you will receive an error message that indicates that the installer is damaged:

====

"Integrated Data Viewer Installer" is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image. Integrated Data Viewer Installer" is on the disk image "idv_3_0u2_macos_installer.dmg". [Your Browser] downloaded this disk image [date and time] from www.unidata.ucar.edu.

====

However, this is misleading - the actual reason is that our installer is not yet signed using a Apple Mac Developer certificate. We are working on this issue and hope to have it fixed soon (which involves obtaining a developer certificate and upgrading our version of install4j). In the meantime, you can get around this by temporarily changing your Gatekeeper settings by doing the following:

1. Open 'System Preferences" and select "Security & Privacy".

2. Under the "General" tab, change "Allow applications downloaded from:" to "Anywhere". Please note that you will likely need to click the lock icon in the lower left hand corner of the window and enter your password to make this change (you will need to be an administrator on your machine to do this).

3. Leave the "Security & Privacy" window open. Run the IDV installer.

4. Once installation is finished, return to the "Security & Privacy" window and change the "Allow applications downloaded from:" option back to its original setting (which is "Mac App Store and identified developers" by default).

Again, this workaround will be temporary and only needs to be done when *installing* the IDV - at this point, all indications are that the IDV runs just fine on Mountain Lion with Gatekeeper enabled. However, if you run into problems with the IDV (or the steps outlined above), please contact support-idv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more help.

Cheers,

The IDV Development Team