Re: [idvusers] Error generating graphic from command line

Thanks for the feedback.  We are still running into a roadblock.. and
perhaps it is something simple in the setting up of the display
environment.  here is what we have troubleshot so far:

- We are using Xvfb for an X-server.
- We have invoked the latest GLX for Xvfb (as far as we know)
- We are starting Xvfb from the command line using "Xvfb :9 -screen 0
1280x1280x24 &" as described in
    this post (
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/mailing_lists/archives/idvusers/2010/msg00002.html
)
-We made a duplication of runIDV called runIDV2 where we include the
following lines at the beginning of the file
    DISPLAY=:9
    export DISPLAY
-We execute runIDV2 using our test.isl file to create a graphic and we now
end up with the following error:

"client 1 rejected from local host"

Are these the correct steps to do this?  It seems like we are doing
something wrong.

Mike U

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Don Murray (NOAA Affiliate) <
don.murray@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mike-
>
> You are running in offscreen mode in your ISL.  What are you using for an
> X-Server?  If you are using Xvfb, it might be that the version you are
> using does not support the latest GLX.
>
> Don
>

> On 2/27/13 12:40 PM, Julien Chastang wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Make sure the graphics driver is up to date. I know you mention you
>> have  no problems running from the UI, but please try anyway.
>>
>> If that is not the solution, then there seems to be a mismatch between
>> your head and headless environment. Somehow the display settings for
>> headless mode are not correct. Make sure you have the GLX module
>> installed for your X server.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Unidata IDV Support
>>
>> On 2/27/13 9:53 AM, Mike Umscheid - NOAA Federal wrote:
>>
>>> We have just recently installed IDV 3.1u1 for Linux and have been able to
>>> get everything to work except for generating PNG graphics when running
>>> IDV
>>> from the command line.  I am trying to open a simple bundle and
>>> generate a
>>> basic output graphic using an ISL file:
>>>
>>> runIDV -islfile scripts/MUtest2.isl
>>>
>>> We have been able to successfully run a very similar .isl file that
>>> creates
>>> a PNG file when ISL is launched with the GUIs.  (run IDV, create a simple
>>> plot on the default loaded map, then Open menu > ISL file)
>>>
>>> We are stumped as to why we can create a PNG running the software through
>>> the GUI, but get this OFF_SCREEN error when run through the command line
>>> with the -islfile argument.
>>>
>>> here is the error:
>>>
>>> [root@ddc-ls-eddy IDV_3.1u1]# ./runIDV -islfile scripts/MUtest2.isl
>>> Java 3D WARNING : reported GLX version = 1.2
>>>      GLX version 1.3 or higher is required
>>>      The reported version number may be incorrect.  There is a known
>>>      ATI driver bug in glXQueryVersion that incorrectly reports the GLX
>>>      version as 1.2 when it really is 1.3, so Java 3D will attempt to
>>>      run anyway.
>>> JAVA 3D: OpenGL 1.2 detected; will run with reduced functionality
>>> Java 3D ERROR : FBConfig doesn't support pbuffer or pixmap returns None
>>>
>>> DefaultRenderingErrorListener.**errorOccurred:
>>> OFF_SCREEN_BUFFER_ERROR: Renderer: Error creating Canvas3D off-screen
>>> buffer
>>> graphicsDevice = X11GraphicsDevice[screen=0]