Re: [idvusers] Error generating graphic from command line

We found the solution to our problem.

We simply uninstalled the 64-bit version and installed the 32-bit version
which gives you the install option of selecting Java3D version 1.3 instead
of the default 1.5. I saw this as a troubleshooting solution in a thread
several years ago.  That did the trick on our Linux system.  So, if anyone
ever repeats this problem trying to create graphics from an ISL file off
the command line, try using 32-bit version.

Thanks for all the help,
Mike U

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Don Murray (NOAA Affiliate) <
don.murray@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mike-
>
> You are running in offscreen mode in your ISL.  What are you using for an
> X-Server?  If you are using Xvfb, it might be that the version you are
> using does not support the latest GLX.
>
> Don
>

> On 2/27/13 12:40 PM, Julien Chastang wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Make sure the graphics driver is up to date. I know you mention you
>> have  no problems running from the UI, but please try anyway.
>>
>> If that is not the solution, then there seems to be a mismatch between
>> your head and headless environment. Somehow the display settings for
>> headless mode are not correct. Make sure you have the GLX module
>> installed for your X server.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Unidata IDV Support
>>
>> On 2/27/13 9:53 AM, Mike Umscheid - NOAA Federal wrote:
>>
>>> We have just recently installed IDV 3.1u1 for Linux and have been able to
>>> get everything to work except for generating PNG graphics when running
>>> IDV
>>> from the command line.  I am trying to open a simple bundle and
>>> generate a
>>> basic output graphic using an ISL file:
>>>
>>> runIDV -islfile scripts/MUtest2.isl
>>>
>>> We have been able to successfully run a very similar .isl file that
>>> creates
>>> a PNG file when ISL is launched with the GUIs.  (run IDV, create a simple
>>> plot on the default loaded map, then Open menu > ISL file)
>>>
>>> We are stumped as to why we can create a PNG running the software through
>>> the GUI, but get this OFF_SCREEN error when run through the command line
>>> with the -islfile argument.
>>>
>>> here is the error:
>>>
>>> [root@ddc-ls-eddy IDV_3.1u1]# ./runIDV -islfile scripts/MUtest2.isl
>>> Java 3D WARNING : reported GLX version = 1.2
>>>      GLX version 1.3 or higher is required
>>>      The reported version number may be incorrect.  There is a known
>>>      ATI driver bug in glXQueryVersion that incorrectly reports the GLX
>>>      version as 1.2 when it really is 1.3, so Java 3D will attempt to
>>>      run anyway.
>>> JAVA 3D: OpenGL 1.2 detected; will run with reduced functionality
>>> Java 3D ERROR : FBConfig doesn't support pbuffer or pixmap returns None
>>>
>>> DefaultRenderingErrorListener.**errorOccurred:
>>> OFF_SCREEN_BUFFER_ERROR: Renderer: Error creating Canvas3D off-screen
>>> buffer
>>> graphicsDevice = X11GraphicsDevice[screen=0]