Re: [idvusers] ISL to save satellite data in McIDAS format

Robert -- I'm including my earlier note at the end of this, since I
neglected to forward it to the list.

To expand up that -- you can certainly use the AreaFile class to
download from an ADDE server and it's save() method to put the AREA
file on disk.  This could be run outside of the IDV.  In fact, if you
need a GUI, there is the GetAreaGUI class which can be used to help
create the URL you need to get the data...

While this would be easiest to work with in Jython, you could also
make a small Java program.  In Jython, it would be something like
this:

from edu.wisc.ssec.mcidas import AreaFile as af

a = af("adde://yourserver.ucar.edu/image?")
a.save("output.file",0)

a. the "image?", instead of a fully explicit URL will pop up a GUI to
help you select the data
b. the 2nd parameter in the save() call is "verbose" -- 0 (zero) is false/off

tom