[idvusers] IDV Applet?

Hi Everyone,

It would be great to use IDV as a Java Applet, but given that Java Applets
have fallen out of favour in recent years and most up-to-date browsers
block them, due to security issues, I wondered if it might be possible to
develop a Javascript version of the IDV based on something like WebGL?  It
is interesting to note that EarthGL:
http://gher-diva.phys.ulg.ac.be/EarthGL/doc , has an IDV-like globe
display, but I think the data is served up via WMS rather than being
directly read-in from netcdf or grib files.

So perhaps this is more a question to IDV developers: are there any plans
to develop an applet-like IDV that could be run in a web browser?

Thanks,

Paul Graham