Re: [idvusers] definition of netcdf formats

Hi Hein,

Here are a few links that I find helpful:

1.)  Example netCDF files:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/examples/files.html
All colleague of mine noted that at his organization, the use of "standard
name" is important and encouraged.  The examples omit this parameter.

2.)  The standard name table a useful reference especially for proper unit
declaration.
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-standard-names/standard-name-table/23/cf-standard-name-table.html

3.)  The CF conventions document can be daunting at first, but after working
with example files, it becomes the most useful document.
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.6/cf-conventions.html

Some rules I follow for everything that I am constructing:
I use longname and standard name
I have been advised to use both _FillValue and missing_value.
Declare the units for latitude (degree) and longitude (degree_west)

Finally, if I am really struggling to construct a file with proper form, I add
a question to the users list or contact netCDF support at UNIDATA.

I am not an expert in this but I hope this can help,
Joleen