Re: [idvusers] [thredds] Update - Changes to thredds.ucar.edu

Hi Robert:

Good advice, thanks.

GEMPAK is an interesting contrast in table management. It uses hand-maintained mappings of GRIB tables to an assigned variable name. it is NCEP specific, so cant be used as a general solution to all GRIB files. NCEP is focused on keeping operational software like AWIPS current (probably GEMPAK is in this category), and not much else, in particular archived data is an afterthought. Tools like wgrib and wgrib2 use these hand maintained tables, but its up to the user to ensure that the tables are current, though users typically dont have the expertise to know how to do that. The system hangs together likely 99.44% of the time, but it sometimes "silently fails" by misidentifying variables.

Anyway, the problems with changing names is part of GRIB, regardless of whether its local or remote. The advantage of remote is that, in principle, the right thing can be done on the server and clients can take advantage of it.

Regards,
John