[idvusers] Point data- poor performance - anyone have experience/solutions?

Hello IDV users.
I am trying to put point data in the IDV, and it works, but performs incredibly
slowly.
Can anyone offer advice?

My test example is a single-site .csv file with 2448 time values. A 140 kB text
file.
I created multiple color-shaded plan view displays of gridded values, at one
Time Driver level,
plus (optionally) one point display (a ground validation) from the point data
file.

When the point display does not exist, I can toggle the grid displays on and
off instantly, no problem.
When the point display exists, toggling the grid displays on and off takes
whole seconds of spinning wheel and "please wait..." time.
That spoils the validation exercise (evaluating the point-data color against
background shadings to see the contrast).

It is replicable on 2 machines, including on a new, dedicated 8GB RAM laptop
with nothing else running.

Time cannot be subsetted, nor the Time Driver used, for point data.
(An issue for idv-steering?)
There is "rebinning" of time for point data sources, which I think means some
kind of time averaging,
but the hourly samples are what we want to see, not averages.

Still, this seems surprisingly bad for just 2448 time levels, even if IDV
somehow thinks
it has to re-read and re-render 2448 filled circles and wind barbs (just to
show me ONE)
whenever some OTHER display is touched.

I just can't imagine where the time goes.
Some kind of graphics-level inefficiency?
Watching the memory counter, Megs-Gigs are involved -- for a 140 kB text
datafile.
??

We have a network of 70 sites with hourly data for several years.
I fear IDV will be impossible to work with at this rate.
And chopping up the data into tiny files, site by site, day by day, requiring
manual new display creation for each site and every time we change the Time
Driver,
is obviously impractical.

Anyone have experience, or know any tricks?

I tried this as an idv-support ticket, but maybe it is not quite a bug -- j
maybe we ust need a user trick (hopefully)?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Brian Mapes

Brian Mapes, Professor