[idvusers] painting map lines on 3D topography

I'd like to render the map lines along the 3D surface, as if they were
painted on.  At different viewing angles, the lines should appear stuck to
the same surface location.

As it is now, either my state borders are obscured by the topography or if
I raise the vertical position of the state borders, they give the
impression of "floating" above the topography or cutting through it.

 I know you can render images on a 3D surface but can you render maps on a
3D surface?

Thanks
Dave