Re: [idvusers] Running IDV headlessly (Mac OS X)

All,

We use docker for this sort of thing now. For example, see

http://unidata-idvtest.cloudapp.net/compare.html.

This is the output of our nightly IDV "headless" testing, running in
the cloud using docker,

Here is how you can do this with Docker.

1. Install Docker. Better yet, use a system that has docker already. I
think docker comes "out of the box" on Linux these days. It is also
available on VMs from cloud providers if you have access to those
resources.

2. docker run -v ~/foobar/:/home/idv/scratch -p 5901:5901 -it
unidata/idv-gui ./scratch/startidv.sh

The foobar directory is on your host system (which is mounted to
/home/idv/scratch in the container). It should contain these 3 example
files

https://gist.github.com/julienchastang/5520ce562cdbe653ea87

batch.xidv is a regular/vanilla idv bundle
foo.isl and startidv.sh should be scrutinized, but will run as is.

Running the docker container above should generate a test.png file w/
global GFS data.

It is worth looking at the Dockerfiles (and ancillary) files as they
"codify" the process of running the IDV in headless mode. Even if  you
don't want to use docker, there are a lot if hints therein

https://github.com/Unidata/idv-test
https://github.com/Unidata/Unidata-Dockerfiles/idv

My colleague Ward Fisher at Unidata figured out the IDV running
headless in a Docker container so thanks to him.