[idvusers] HRRR Model subsetting for use in IDV - My experiences; SUMMARY

FYI,

Here's my experiences (pdf document) using five different sources for sub setting HRRR model data for display, field calculations and sequencing in IDV:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y10a3d9czj949lo/HRRR_Model_DataServer_Options_20170212.pdf?dl=1

The multiple time dimensions in the thredds servers for HRRRx cause real problems for generating time aggregations as you know. The NOMADS grads Opendap server is hopelessly out of date (no units in metadata). The thredds server at Unidata for operational HRRR 2d fields works fine for time aggregation, but lacks two import fields for me: surface and latent heat flux.

Does anyone know what the future plans are for NOMADS and HRRR v3? I've sent in a support question with no reply. It would be great if these used a thredds server, included more 2D fields, and included the native plus pressure 3D fields.

Walt Rogers