Root ownership of rpc.ldmd

I was wondering why the specifications for the ldm say to chown rpc.ldmd to
root.  If the ldm is registered with the portmaper (/etc/rpc), then the
portmaper specifies which port ldm will be using.  Also, if ldm uses rpc,
why are we specifying the 388 port in the /etc/services file?

I am asking because, when I run rpc.ldmd as the ldm user, my pqact and
pqbinstats programs start-up and run great.  Where as, if rpc.ldmd is
chowned to root, they never start and no errors are produced.

Thanks,
Brad Teale
Universal Weather & Aviation, Inc.
<mailto:bteale@xxxxxxxxxxxx>