Re: pqing stopped inserting when downstream requested feed

Hi,

I'm not sure if Jessica is still up or not (she works where I work),
so I thought I'd throw in more info.  In response to your query,
we also run a Unisys NOAAPort Receive System here.  We have two Solaris
7 x86 boxen attached to our sat receivers, each spewing out 2 channels on
a private network to the previously mentioned FreeBSD box.  So, under
normal operation, the FreeBSD box should have four instances of pqing
running - 2 per Unisys PC.

This afternoon AOA 2025 Z, one of our developers tried to start ldm,
with the feedme pointed at ye olde FreeBSD box.  At around the same
time, the pqing process handling the data from NWSTG (on our system
the No 2 channel), died, as recorded by the ldm on the FreeBSD box.
Granted, this doesn't necessary mean there was any connection between
the two events - just strangely coincident.  This mysterious process
dying thing has also happened a couple of times when, to our knowledge,
no one was trying to connect.

Thanks for the reply and any further comments/assistance!

Jared Bostic

Jared P. Bostic
Oklahoma Climatological Survey Operations Center
Email:  jpbostic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
USmail: 100 East Boyd, Suite 1210, Norman, OK  73019
Phone: (405) 325-3231 / Pager: (405) 530-4478
Fax:   (405) 325-2550

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 mwdross@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Jessica,
>
> I too am ingesting NOAAPORT data using the pqing -P  <port number> directly
> from our Unisys NOAAPORT
> Receive System.  I have occasional, unexplained problems with the pqing
> just stopping, not receiving data via the socket.
> Although I haven't related it to another LDM feeding from this system. In
> fact, if I am correct the pqing has little
> to do with feeding downstream sites, rather the rpc.ldm  does much of that,
> I believe.
>
>  I am running 3 different pqing processes, with the NRS system filtering
> the  WMO headers to mimic the Unidata
> feed types for compatibility.  I am running Linux Mandrake 7.1 on this
> system, but the problem also occurred on our
> AIX 4.3 RS/6000 when I tested on that platform a few months ago, so I don't
> think the problem is platform specific.
>
>  * DDPLUS|IDS feed type
>  * HDS feed type
>  * NNEXRAD feedtype
>
> Almost always 1 will quit while the others continue.  I have felt like the
> problem is more likely with the Unisys NRS software, thats
> why I haven't brought it to the attention of the LDM users.  But it sounds
> like you may be having a similar problem. What type of
> NRS system are you using?
>
> I have had much better success when I run just 1 pqing process and ingest
> everything as WMO.  But this
> doesn't suit our current environment.
>
> There may be a bug in the way pqing handles socket connections?  I would
> curious to know how Unidata is
> feeding there top level relay sites from the NRS systems? If they are using
> the socket connection?
>
> If I figure anything out from this end I will pass it along.
>
> Mike Dross
> Duke Energy
>

>                     Jessica Thomale
>
>                     <jthomale@xxxxxxxxxxx.        To:
> <ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>                     ou.edu>                       cc:
>
>                     Sent by:                      bcc:
>
>                     owner-ldm-users@unidat        Subject:     pqing stopped
> inserting when downstream requested feed
>                     a.ucar.edu
>

>                     02/13/2001 09:01 PM
>

> Good Evening,
>
> We are requesting a NOAAPort feed using pqing -P <port number> on a ldm
> server that serves this data to downstream ldm hosts.
>
> Today, when the downstream ldm server started requesting a feed from the
> upstream ldm server, one of the pqing processes (importing the NWSTG
> channel) mysteriously died. I attached a copy of the two ldmd log files.
>
> Both machines are running ldm-5.1.3. The upstream server is a FreeBSD
> (version 4.2) box.  The downstream server is a Solaris/x86 box (version 8).
>
> There appears to be a problem with the product queue on the upstream ldm
> server.
>
> Has anyone experienced any problems similar to this problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance,
>
> Jessica

> [...]

  • Search the ldm-users archives: