I don't know about the Portland compilers but we built GEMPAK on our Sun
E6500
(12 CPUs) with the Sun FORTE -xparallel option and it ran slower than a
version
compiled with standard optimization.  Which leads to be believe GEMPAK
is not
parallelized.  Can someone confirm or deny this?  Has anyone benefitted
on GEMPAK with multi-CPUs?

Date: 25 Aug 2001 19:36:56 -0700
From: stonie.cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: rmullenax@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Gempak build with PGI compilers
Cc: neils@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gembud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
   ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: owner-ldm-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Robert,

You are correct - gempak is not parallelized (as in HP FORTRAN) or threaded
(POSIX or otherwise).  Depending on the OS, however, gempak can benefit from
SMP boxes; in Linux, with fully symetrical mainboards and a kernel compiled for
SMP, Linux will do _some_ load balancing - even across ipc.  Depending on other
load variables, your decoders spawned from LDM may be running on one CPU, while
display programs are running on the other (in a dual cpu situation).

On Sparcs, my experience is that by compiling non-parallelized (non-threaded)
programs without SMP flags - they run a lot faster.  As Solaris (or HP-UX)
lends less ability to look "under the hood", I cannot explain why this is the
case.

Stonie
On Sat, 25 August 2001, Robert Mullenax wrote:

> "Neil R. Smith" wrote:
>
> Neil,
>
> I don't know about the Portland compilers but we built GEMPAK on our Sun
> E6500
> (12 CPUs) with the Sun FORTE -xparallel option and it ran slower than a
> version
> compiled with standard optimization.  Which leads to be believe GEMPAK
> is not
> parallelized.  Can someone confirm or deny this?  Has anyone benefitted
> on GEMPAK with multi-CPUs?

Stonie R. Cooper
Science Officer
Planetary Data, Incorporated