Re: Problem with compiling ldm-5.1.4 on RH 7.2

Steve Ochani wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to build ldm 5.1.4 on a Redhat Linux 7.2 system. I came across
> the makewhatis
> problem that was discussed before (in April i guess)
>
> I did a search through the archives and found email from Anne Wilson
> recommending to edit
> the Makefile and take out a few lines.
>
> Email archive at
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/ldm/4293
>
> Should I still do this or is there another solution?
>
> Thanks

Hi Steve,

Although ldm 5.1.4 fixed the compilation problems that appeared with
Redhat 7.x, the 'makewhatis' problem slipped through the cracks.  That
problem is that makewhatis is now only executable by root.  Here is a
description of the security risk:
http://xforce.iss.net/alerts/advise56.php.

makewhatis simply makes the 'whatis' file, used by 'man -k' or 'apropos'
when looking for man pages relevant to a particular keyword.  You do not
need this to run the ldm.  Since this is the last thing done under 'make
install', your installation should be good even if this last command did
not complete succesfully.

If you would like to have the 'whatis' file, you can execute the command
directly from the command line as root, i.e., run '/usr/sbin/makewhatis
/usr/local/ldm/man'.

Anne
anne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                  P.O. Box 3000
                                  Boulder, CO  80307