Stokes replacement tomorrow

To those who feed from Stokes:

Tomorrow at 2:00 PM CST, 10 January, we will be replacing the old
Sun Sparc 10 with a new machine. Those feeding from Stokes will need
to switch over to their failover sites. We should be back up and
running by 5:00 PM CST but one never knows.

mjl

PS

and for those geeks like me out there: Basic guts of new machine

ASUS A7V133 motherboard with a AMD T-BIRD 1400(266MHZ) processor
2 ADAPTEC 29160 ULTRA160 PCI SSI boards
1 IBM ATM/IDE 15 GB hard drive (for OS)
4 IBM 36GB ULTRA160 SCSI 10000RPM 4MB BUFF hard drives (data storage)
1 3COM 10/100 ethernet (for local nfs mounts)
1 Netgear GA620 1000baseT Gigabit Ethernet (for all of you to feed)

We chose FreeBSD as our OS and have created a vinum software raid
(Striped and Mirrored) with the 4 SCSI drives. We are gigabit to the
local NOAAPort box and to the campus backbone.

So far we have been very happy with the performance of this machine
and so have built a second, identical machine to handle our NIDS
level 2 and level 3 data and to serve as a backup in case of
failure.

We are looking forward to seeing how well this setup will perform
once we add it to the IDD family.
  Dr. Mark J. Laufersweiler     |
  School of Meteorology         |     Those who give up essential
  University of Oklahoma        |   liberties for temporary safety
  laufers@xxxxxx                | deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  (405) 325-6032                |             - Benjamin Franklin
  (405) 325-7689  (fax)         |

  • Search the ldm-users archives: