Re: Solving Redhat 7.2 install problems

  • Subject: Re: Solving Redhat 7.2 install problems
  • From: Gilbert Sebenste <sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:12:34 -0600 (CST)
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Arthur A. Person wrote:

> Gilbert,
>
> Hmmm, don't recall seeing one of these options while logging off.  Maybe I
> just didn't notice it.  However, I haven't had any problems with RH 7.2 X
> windows logging on/off multiple times either.

It's just when you do the initial install that you should save your
profile. When you click on the "start" menu to shut down, the screen dims
and up pops this box that says "log out, shutdown, reboot". And above
that, there's a small box that asks you if you want to save the
configuration. The first time as root, you should save it.

> I've heard of up2date but don't use it.  I typically go to the security
> patches page and download the current patches and make a tar install set
> which I then use on all my machines.  I'm also not familiar with
> rhn_register.

Like Redhat or not, the latest version of up2date is a *good thing* (tm).
It does check for conflicts, whether or not your system actually needs the
updates, etc, and painlessly installs them. rhn_register is the method
used to register with the RedHat network. You are allowed one free machine
to upgrade, but there is a easy way around that without paying extra.
It's obvious when you open an account on the website:
http:///rhn.redhat.com.

> One piece of information you left out was what hardware you are running.
> On my systems, I find RH 7.2 works on some and not others.  I have Compaq
> ML330 and ML370 servers and RH 7.2 works without any hitches once properly
> configured.  However, I tried installing it on my DeskPro EN systems and
> it's unstable.  Either freezes or runs poorly under certain conditions
> which appear to me to be a nework card driver problem (eepro100).
> Interestingly, Compaq's web site says they've tested their servers under
> RH 7.2 and support it (and it works) but for their EN desktops, they say
> they've only tested and support RH 7.1.  Perhaps I should have read the
> web page first!

The NVidia GeForce 256 video card with a Sony P1110 Ultrascan monitor. The
OS ran fine, except for the monitor. Once I saved the workstation
settings, I have had no problems with it.

>                             Thanks for the observations...

You bet. Take care!

Internet: gilbert@xxxxxxx    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                 ***