NIU data loss

Hello all,

I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond to this earlier.

Some of my downstream sites have experienced a little slowness over the
last few weeks due to incredibly high amounts of Morpheus traffic (the
next generation of "Napster", which is choking 80%-90% of our lines).

Last night around 1 AM, so many people were using it that it caused a
network meltdown which continues to this moment, as well as the file
downloads. Our Information Technology Services folks have just about
had enough, and are about to clamp down on Internet usage to the dorms in
a larger fashion (they already have serious crimps thanks to this). As it
is, the network remains unstable at best. I know they're just waiting for
approval to shut the big boys down.

In the meantime, if you are having trouble getting data from me, please
fail over to a backup. I'll let you know when they put the clamps down and
fix this mess. As it is, last night, we had no data from 7Z-10Z due to
this outage, as both our Internet connections were taken out by the
extreme loads.

Internet: gilbert@xxxxxxx    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                 ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: