Re: LDM: RPC access to portmapper vs firewall

Anne Wilson wrote:

> First, my assumption is that the question you are asking is, "Does it
> typically take longer to make an LDM connection if the *portmapper
> connection* does not work."  All LDM connections are via RPC - there are
> no non-RPC connections occuring.

OK, so you are saying that all communication is via RPC, and that first
LDM tries to use port 388, and then tries to get a dynamic port thru the
portmapper.

> Second, my understanding is that you wish to feed from moonbow to some
> machine X, and that linus.atd.ucar.edu and spol-nssl each also feed from
> moonbow without the delay you're experiencing.  Please correct me if I'm
> wrong about this.

Sorry if I wasn't clear :
spol-nssl is in Norman, for a field project.  It gets LDM feeds from
linus.atd.ucar.edu
moonbow.rap.ucar.edu
eldm.fsl.noaa.gov

Only the connection to moonbow shows the intermittent errors about RPC
failures.

> It is hard to say what is "typical" because configurations across
> machines vary so much.  I can tell you that an LDM client does not
> require that port 111 be available on the remote machine as long as port
> 388 is available.  The client will try port 388 first.  If port 388 is
> not available, then the client will try to contact the remote portmapper
> on port 111.  If neither are available the client will give up.
>
> It seems like your client machine X is either not trying port 388 first
> or is not allowed there initially but is allowed through later.  (It is
> also apparently not allowed via the portmapper.)  I can't explain this.
> Is your name service working properly on X?  Can you do a forward and
> reverse lookup to moonbow?   What happens if you using moonbow's IP
> address instead of its name in your request?

Yes, forward and reverse name lookup works to moonbow.  If the problem
re-occurs, I'll use moonbow's IP address, rather than its name.

> You can try ldmping to moonbow from X.  ldmping will report the state of
> the connection.  Here are the states the client will go through in
> increasing order:
>
>   typedef enum {
>         H_NONE = 0,   /* ground state (empty) */
>         NAMED,      /* initialized, a service is defined */
>         ADDRESSED,  /* we got an network address (nameservice okay) */
>         PMAP_CLNTED,    /* CLNT handle to remote portmap or rpcbind */
>         MAPPED,         /* and we got remote address (port) */
>         H_CLNTED,  /* clnt side handle */
>         RESPONDING  /* clnt is responding okay */
> } remote_state;
>
> (The code will jump across the state PMAP_CLNTED on the first try.)
> Please let me know the result of your ldmping test.  Also, please let me
> know the name of machine X, and I will try some diagnostics myself.

Here's the result:
$ ldmping moonbow.rap.ucar.edu
May 09 19:22:22      State    Elapsed Port   Remote_Host
rpc_stat
May 09 19:22:22 RESPONDING   0.050303  388   moonbow.rap.ucar.edu
May 09 19:22:47 RESPONDING   0.020030  388   moonbow.rap.ucar.edu
May 09 19:23:12 RESPONDING   0.020033  388   moonbow.rap.ucar.edu

I'm assuming the state can be "RESPONDING",  even if the portmapper is
unreachable.

  • Search the ldm-users archives: