Re: LDM crashing on Redhat 5.3, fully patched

Hi Robb,

> Gilbert,
>
> Well there are many variables that could be causing your problem, one
> could be the LDM.  Also, I'm sure your aware that the Linux glibc library
> has been updated twice in the last couple of weeks, not good huh.

That's true. However, the new 3.1 came out, and RedHat 8.0 will have it,
as others have mentioned. 2.96 is much less buggy. But, then again, 5.1.4
was ROCK stable on a patched 7.3 machine. Even the rare crashes I had (all
two of them, one was my fault) had disappeared under 7.3. So I was
astonished to see this happen. Especially since it compiled just fine.

That said, there are 10 zillion things that could go wrong. So, we'll keep
testing it out!

> One the other hand, thelma (our main IDD LDM machine) has been upgraded to
> LDM 5.2 last monday and has been feeding many LDM 5.1.4 sites without any
> problems.

Hmmmm...well, with me, I have suspected that feeding *from* a 5.1.4
machine has caused it to crash. This weekend, I had weather2.admin on
5.1.4, and weather.admin on 5.2. Weather.admin's LDM stopped for the first
time in months. So, I suspect it's a 5.2 problem, BUT is it the fault of
the LDM or the OS? Ya got me.

> So I think it's stable code, maybe it has problems on some
> platforms that I'm not aware.  At this point, lets take this problem off
> the ldm-users list and I'll work personally with your to try to resolve
> it.   I can set up a temporary feeder site here and try to duplicate the
> problem. Can you send the information about site environment, the versions
> of Linux, etc.  Also, have you tried using the binary LDM distribution
> from Unidata?  Don't forget the hardware setup too.

I will do that. And, as always, thanks for your help!

Internet: gilbert@xxxxxxx    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: sebenste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                 ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: