Re: LDM on Solaris 8 Intel??

Robert,

> Well, maybe things aren't so good with LDM on Solaris 8 Intel.
> We have been missing grib products on our Intel Solaris machine
> while they have been coming in on the backup SPARC machine.
> Our NOAAPORT SDI is feeding both.  I have seen no errors in ldmd.log

We'll have to see if we can reproduce that problem here.

> Doing pqmon on the Intel machine shows something strange..
> the nbytes does not match the size of the queue (it is 975MB)
> and maxprods is always increasing along with nprods:
>
> Jul 30 14:58:46 pqmon: Starting Up (27854)
> Jul 30 14:58:46 pqmon: nprods nfree  nempty      nbytes  maxprods  maxfree
> minempty    maxext  age
> Jul 30 14:58:46 pqmon:  55885     1  182151   460253840     55885        1
> 182151 514749808 1962
> Jul 30 14:58:51 pqmon:  55968     1  182068   460633632     55968        1
> 182068 514370016 1967
> ^CJul 30 14:58:55 pqmon: Interrupt
> Jul 30 14:58:55 pqmon: Exiting
>
> I have tried the ldm-5.1.2 binary and the new ldm-5.2 binary with the same
> result.
>
> On the other hand NSBF (my part time job) has a Solaris Intel box
> running ldm-5.1.2 binary and it has no such problem even though it
> is on the IDD, and pqmon also looks "normal" on it as well.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes, I think you are seeing the output we would expect from pqmon for
a product queue that is not full yet.  The age of the oldest product
in your queue was 1967 seconds, so you don't have an hours' worth of
data in the queue yet.

nbytes is just the number of bytes in the queue in use for data
products, and will always be less than the size of the product queue
due to data structure overhead (about 68 bytes per product) and free
space for new product insertions.  In a "full" product queue in steady
state with products being inserted and deleted continuously, this is
typically between 93% and 98% of the actual queue size in bytes.

maxprods is the maximum number of products in the queue so far, since
it was created.  For a queue that is still filling up, this will
always be the same as the current number of products, nprods.  Once
the queue is full, nprods will usually be somewhat less than maxprods.

--Russ

  • Search the ldm-users archives: