Re: Internet problems at UAlbany

  • Subject: Re: Internet problems at UAlbany
  • From: Jim Koermer <koermer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:46:08 -0400
Kevin,

We have seen exactly the same problems at Plymouth State over the past
week. We had been experiencing our best internet flow ever and things
have gone rapidly downhill, even though our packet shaper is set to
provide us with the highest priority on campus and a decent amount of
bandwidth.

One of the reasons that I have been given by our ITS folks is that the
students have figured our a way to do their large music file swapping on
ports that avoid the current packet shaper configuration. I can see the
effect that even during supposedly slow times of the day the network
bandwidth is now essentially saturated. Our problem will probably
continue for about 10 days as our ITS person who deals with the packet
shaper is on vacation.

--
James P. Koermer             E-Mail: koermer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Professor of Meteorology     Office Phone: (603)535-2574

  • Search the ldm-users archives: