Re: Major Internet Disruptions since last night

As an addendum, you may want to look at http://average.matrix.net/ for graphical info on the severity of this attack across the entire net.

I've not heard if this a concentrated effort against the US or the 'Net in general. Data from the MIDS site suggests it hit the whole net. Which makes sense since so many systems are interconnected, or folks get a vanity domain name from offshore sources, obscuring where folks really are.

CNN and our campus security folks both suggest it's similar in some ways to Code Red.

Our campus is now connected to the world. However, we're not all connected together back on-campus, as we've a large number of Microsoft systems with SQL Server that have to be secured or disconnected before the buildings they're in can be reattached.

Gerry

Kevin R. Tyle wrote:
Hi all,

There appears to be a major DDoS attack going on since last
night, which is causing some pretty significant problems on
the Internet all over the globe.  In terms of the Unidata feeds,
we have been seeing some problems feeding from a few sites.

The problem appears to be a worm that is hitting unpatched
MS SQL server machines.

Even NCEP is being hit, as we can see from the latest message
from the SDM desk:

NCEP IS EXPERIENCING INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL WEB ACCESS
PROBLEMS AND NCEP ACCESS TO SUITLAND WHERE MUCH OF
THE SATELLITE PRODUCTS ORIGINATE A FOR OUR MODEL RUNS.
SUPPORT PERSONNEL SAY THAT ANOTHER HOUR MAYBE NEEDED
TO FULLY RECOVER THE COMMS SYSTEM...SORRY FOR THE
DELAY...

I've attached below the first account of this attack from
the Bugtraq list . . .

--Kevin

Kevin Tyle, Systems Administrator               **********************
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences           ktyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
University at Albany, ES-235                    518-442-4571 (voice)
1400 Washington Avenue                          518-442-5825 (fax)
Albany, NY 12222                                **********************