RE: Starting LDM for first time - correction

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Matt Rosier wrote:

> Thanks to all who have offered help, there are a few recent things I need to
> try but am not at my linux machine right now, but getting close to solving the
> problems I think. Seems it has a lot to do with my env variables.
>
> Right now, I believe I have everything set corectly in the bashrc file, with
> path pointing to /home/ldm/bin and ldmhome to /home/ldm
>
> Something I just realized, my home/ldm/bin and other /home/ldm directory links
> seem to be broken, I created them following the unidata preinstall directions
> and typing:
>
> cd ~ldm
>        % ln -s runtime/bin bin
>        % ln -s runtime/man man
>        % ln -s runtime/src src
>        % ln -s runtime/lib lib
>        % ln -s runtime/include include
>
> But those commands don't seem to make much sense, it would seem that all those

Matt,

The above links are correct. It's done so one can change the version of
the ldm by changing only one link "runtime"  The part that you are
missing is:

% ln -s ldm-5.2.binary runtime.

To make sense of this, mentally substitute ldm-5.2.binary for runtime in
the links above. Then all the bin, lib, include, man, and src links above
point to the  ldm-5.2.binary directories. That's what you want.

> directories should point to /home/ldm/ldm-5.2.binary/ correct? So to set those
> links would I type:
>
> ln -s runtime/bin /home/ldm/ldm-5.2.binary
>
> from the ~ldm directoy?
>
> Thanks again for all the help and patience!
>
> Matt
>
> >===== Original Message From Gerry Creager N5JXS <gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx>
> =====
> >When you bult LDM, it created a bin directory.  That's where all the
> >programs reside.  You need to A) add that to your path or B) place these
> >in some bin directory already in your path, such as /usr/local/bin.

For you installation, a link must be made for:

% ln -s /home/ldm /usr/local/ldm

This link must be done as root and it's necessary because that's where the
the binaries distribution are created at.

> >There's a minor blurb in the LDM instructions that I missed the first
> >time about adding the path statement.  One thing to consider would be
> >making the PATH addition in /etc/csh.login so that all users get it, as
> >well as /etc/bashrc
> >
> >Gerry
> >
> >Matt Rosier wrote:
> >> Actually, that was the command I tried typing (typo in the original msg).
> >>
> >> Still no luck, ldmadmin not found.
> >>
> >> Matt

> >> <stonie.cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> =====

I would check that the data link is correct. I would review the
instruction again at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmPreInstallList.html

I know it's time consuming but all the steps are necessary to get the LDM
running correctly. On the positve side, you only have to do it once.

Robb...

> >--
> >Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@xxxxxxxx
> >Network Engineering -- AATLT, Texas A&M University
> >Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
> >Page: 979.228.0173
> >Office: 903A Eller Bldg, TAMU, College Station, TX 77843

rkambic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   WWW: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/

  • Search the ldm-users archives: