IS IT THE AVN OR GFS OR MRF OR ....?

I have a question that I hope to gain consensus on. In speaking with a friend from NCEP over winter break, he kept reminding me on how the AVN was now called the GFS. Is it truly the same model? Also, is the MRF now also considered the GFS.

We were going to update our weather server to reflect the current lingo just like we recently did with the GOES8 to GOES12. Since my programmer just went through that whole ordeal I thought it would be good to have him now make the AVN/MRF transition to the GFS.

So I decided to go to the NCEP site and I found current (today) references to GFS products, the GFS MRF-like products, MRF products and AVN products. So what DOES NCEP want us to call this(these) model(s)? Is there any reason to continue to use the AVN and MRF terminology?

Thanks!

Tom Grzelak                          grzelak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Systems Administrator
 ----> Center for Environmental Prediction
 ----> Department of Environmental Sciences

Rutgers University
14 College Farm Road                    Voice: 732-932-4923
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8551            Fax: 732-932-8644
                http://www.envsci.rutgers.edu

  • Search the ldm-users archives: