Re: RedHat support changes

I believe the closest thing to a "free" redhat will be
their new Fedora series (fedora.redhat.com).  It will
not be "officially" supported by Redhat.  It's unclear how
similar to the existing RedHat releases Fedora will be (though
likely someone else on the list has a better idea).

I'm thinking of trying Linux Mandrake--supposedly it is a very
"Red Hat-esque" flavor of Linux.  Anyone else here use it and
have feedback as to how well it works with LDM/GEMPAK?

Meanwhile, I read that SuSE is being bought by Novell.  Anyone
care to guess when MS-Linux (with Software Assurance, 'natch!)
will follow?

--Kevin

Kevin Tyle, Systems Administrator               **********************
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences           ktyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
University at Albany, ES-235                    518-442-4571 (voice)
1400 Washington Avenue                          518-442-5825 (fax)
Albany, NY 12222                                **********************

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Arthur A. Person wrote:

> Hi...
>
> It was brought to my attention today that RedHat is apparently dropping
> support for it's free versions of Linux.  This leaves us (and I'm sure
> many of you) in a quandary as to what to do.  The options appear to be
> either to buy support (which apparently will be $150 per desktop, more for
> servers) or switch to another vendor.
>
> We will probably be forced to switch to another vendor, at least for
> many of our desktops, because of the costs involved.  I'd be interested in
> any opinions anyone has as to preferences for other Linux distributions
> and why.  Also, are there any gotcha's with the other distro's as far as
> running the LDM and gempak are concerned?
>
>                                     Thanks.
>
>                                       Art.
> --
> Arthur A. Person
> Research Assistant, System Administrator
> Penn State Department of Meteorology
> email:  person@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, phone:  814-863-1563

  • Search the ldm-users archives: