Re: RedHat support changes

Not exactly true.

Redhat is dropping support for Redhat 8.0 on Dec 31st and dropping
support for Redhat 9.0 at the end of April.  This has been known
for awhile.  Other linux distributions have also started putting a
time limit on how long they will be supporting their distributions...
For example, isn't Mandrake having 18months of support?

What was known as RedHat Linux has now been rebranded as Fedora
Linux.  Only the Enterprise version will carry the RedHat
name.   Fedora linux will still be "controlled" by Redhat, but
they are trying more of a Debian model... sort of a community-based
project.

Fedora Linux version 1.0 should be released this week.  It's
essentially Redhat 9.1.  I have been testing the test releases that
have been comming out and it's still the same old Redhat.

Bug-fixes, security updates and other updates still will be made
available thru fedora and other third-parties.  Ximian has said
Red-Carpet will still be supported on Fedora and RedHat Enterprise
(but with Novell buying Ximian and Suse, that might change).

This could be a good change:
1)  Redhat still will have control over fedora (alot of Redhat employees
    are on the "steering committee").
2)  More third party programs will now be available.  Fedora Linux
    is sort of a merger between RedHat and Fedora.  Fedora was a
    3rd party community project that supplied 3rd party programs.  It
    was started by some Univ. of Hawaii students.
    Hey... some warped person could be the 3rd party maintainer for
    the inclusion of Gempak into Fedora. :)
3)  Hopefully longer-term support for updates.

As Fedora 1.0 is just Redhat 9.1, I'm taking a wait and see approach.

For more info and to download a copy of Fedora:
http://fedora.redhat.com

Old 3rd party Fedora web site:
http://www.fedora.us

Bryan