Please read! Big feed/changes at NIU, many coming now!!!

Hello all,

It is time for weather2.admin.niu.edu to be replaced. This Pentium 3 800
MHZ machine has served me well, but can no longer handle the daily duties
of being an IDD relay without being bogged down, thanks to the increases
in the NOAAport feed. I have a replacement machine ready to go now...and I
want to get it installed tomorrow, if I can. So, I am asking for the
following...

UNIDATA and all sites feeding from weather2.admin.niu.edu:

Weather3.admin.niu.edu is now the "permanent" primary feed machine! Well,
until 5 years from now, when it can't handle the faster feeds anymore. :-)
If you feed from weather2.admin.niu.edu, please change to feed from
weather3. If you have access to weather2, you should have access to
weather3. If not, email me immediately and I'll fix it. If I use you as a
backup site, could you please add weather3 in if you haven't already?
Thank you!!! Weather3 is a P4 3.06 GHZ, 800 MHZ bus machine running
RedHat Linux 9.0 w/patches. Don't worry. At some point in the next 3
months, that will change, too!

I would like to have the switchover done by tomorrow. Please change your
feeds from weather2 to weather3 ASAP. Thank you!

So, the topology will look like this:

Weather3.admin.niu.edu: Primary LDM *and* McIDAS ADDE server, effective
immediately (Tom Yoksas take note of the latter)

Weather2.admin.niu.edu: When it gets replaced and comes back online, it
will be the primary *backup* LDM machine, and primary THREDDS server.
This, I hope, will come to pass in early December.

Weather.admin.niu.edu: Secondary LDM and ADDE backup server.

Also, I am very please to announce, in cooperation with UNIDATA, a new
place to grab historical model and current weather data. Did you just come
back from a two week vacation, only to realize you missed everything from
a "superstorm" that went through? Then point your web browser to:

http://weather3.admin.niu.edu/unidata/

Browse. See what's there. Let's see if I can get my wording right on this:
This project was funded by UNIDATA through a grant from the NSF. And I'm
very grateful for that!

E-mail: gilbert@xxxxxxx                                               ***

  • Search the ldm-users archives: