Re: RedHat support changes - *new info* - Edu discounts

Just my 2 cents/comments/ramblings:

I am not a big fan of RPM's since once you build from source, you
may break the dependencies. This in part due to RH not using the
standard locations for files and configs. OpenSSH is a good example
where RH did not release the RPM for the update and I went on and
installed it myself. No problems since it is an easy build, but then
I found that I had installed the binaries in /usr/local/bin and not
/usr/bin etc. More work cleaning up and changing the configure.

I am strong fan of FreeBSD's ports and as such Gentoo is looking
very good with its emerge sync. The ability for updates/upgrades can
be handled much easier in my mind.

On the RH enterprise side, not having many changes helps when govt'
agencies produce code specific to library releases (WES and RH 7.2
for example) which goes to what Pete mentioned.

Cost though is an issue when other distros are free. Even at $25 a
pop, it is more than free and can add up when you total all the
linux mchines in your department not just the student labs. Maybe
universities can negotiate a license for the campus that can reduce
those costs.

mjl

  Dr. Mark J. Laufersweiler     |
  School of Meteorology         |     Those who give up essential
  University of Oklahoma        |   liberties for temporary safety
  laufers@xxxxxx                | deserve neither liberty nor safety.
  (405) 325-6032                |             - Benjamin Franklin
  (405) 325-7689  (fax)         |

  • Search the ldm-users archives: